Where to enter your Office product key
Applies To: Office 2016 Office for home Office 2016 for Mac Office 2013
If your purchase of Office came with a product key, you enter your product key on a website. After you enter your key, you can download and install Office, or you can renew your Office 365 subscription.
Example of an Office product key:
My product key isn’t working
First, make sure that you’re entering the key correctly on the right site. If you aren’t sure which site to use, you can enter your product key using the www.office.com/setup. If your product key is valid, the Virtual support agent provides a link to download Office. The Virtual support agent can also let you know if your product key has been blocked and can connect you to a live agent.
If your Office product key doesn’t work, or has stopped working, you should contact the seller and request a refund. If you bought a product key separate from the software, it’s very possible the product key was stolen or otherwise fraudulently obtained, and subsequently blocked for use. Unfortunately, there are many dishonest sellers who offer stolen, abused, or otherwise unauthorized Microsoft product keys for sale. Sometimes these product keys are printed on counterfeit labels or cards with a download link to Microsoft software, and sometimes they’re distributed with software media that is unauthorized for resale, such as promotional media, original equipment manufacturer reinstallation media, or other Microsoft program-specific media.
Still Having problems with your product key?
The way you can find your product key depends on how you got Office 365, Office 2016, or Office 2013. Select how you got Office from the options below.
Here are some FAQ’s that will help you to find and use your product key effectively:
For security reasons, the full product key isn’t displayed within Office or Windows.
Instead, you can do one of the following:
- View the Microsoft account that’s associated with your Office install. You can do this by opening a document in Word 2016 (or any Office app) and going to File > Account.Look for the email address after Belongs to below the product name. This email address takes the place of your product key. You can use this account to reinstall Office from My Office Account and to reactivate Office without a product key.
- View the last 5 characters of the product key. You can do this by using the command-line method described in Manage multiple one-time-purchase Office installs.
- View the full product key for one-time purchases of Office. You can view the full product key for Office Home & Student, Office Home & Business, and Office Professional on the My Office Account page. Here’s how:
- Go to My Office Account and sign in, if prompted.
- Select your Office product.
- Select View your product key. Note that this product key will be different from the product key shown on an Office product key card for the same purchase.Do you manage several installations of Office that are all tied to one Microsoft account? Did you lose track of which product key was used to install Office on which PC? If you answered yes to these questions, see Manage multiple one-time-purchase Office installs that use the same Microsoft account to learn how to identify which Office product key was used to install Office on each PC.
If you have already installed multiple one-time purchases of Office and activation is failing on subsequent installs, see Change your Office product key.